Now Hiring: Communications and Outreach Manager
/ June 16, 2020
Pillars invests in opportunities to elevate and amplify the leadership and talents of American Muslims in civil society. Through our funding programs, campaigns, and initiatives, we support a vibrant and growing nonprofit sector, which has been under immense pressure to protect and defend against imminent threats to the lives and livelihoods of Muslims in the United States. Pillars has been committed to harnessing our collective resources to serve our own communities and contribute broadly to the world around us. Since its founding in 2010, Pillars has invested more than $5 million in opportunities for Muslims in the U.S. to tell their own stories, build community and fight injustice through the media, arts, public discourse and civil society.
Job Description: Communications and Outreach Manager
The Communications Manager will collaborate with the entire Pillars team to enhance the awareness and impact of the community of Muslim leaders and organizational partners and grow the Pillars’ ability to respond to, curate and shape conversations. The Manager will work with the leadership team to develop and be responsible for executing a refreshed communications and outreach strategy, which will include the management of traditional and social media, messaging, brand adherence, and events. The Manager will work especially closely with the Digital Media Coordinator and will report to the Managing Director of Strategy and Partnerships. This is an exciting time to work with the small, enterprising team at Pillars and to create opportunities for individual and organizational growth.
The responsibilities of the Communications and Outreach Manager fall into two main categories:
- Events (In-person and virtual)
- Manage all aspects of external communication, including messaging, website, email campaigns/newsletters, press outreach, and brand alignment
- Help develop and manage the execution of a refreshed communications plan
- Develop and actively manage communications calendar, including email communications
- Work closely with Digital Media Coordinator to help shape and support social media calendar
- Draft, edit and update content for website, annual reports, event communications, email campaigns
- Source and track audio, visual, video assets for website, social media and events
- Ensure brand alignment across platforms and refine branding standards as needed
- Identify opportunities to amplify Pillars programming and grantee partners including but not limited to media outlets
- Support leadership team in developing and producing events, including online events
- Work with Managing Directors to generate concepts, develop project/event plans and oversee event management through execution
- Ensure event concept, marketing materials and print materials align with organizational mission and brand
- Manage event public relations and work with Digital Media Coordinator and vendors, as needed, for the creation of all visual elements and printed materials for events
- Coordinate, supervise, or manage event vendors and volunteers
- Provide scheduled communications and event reports for the staff, board, and other stakeholders, as needed.
- Provide support to the leadership team, grantees, and board, as needed.
Attributes of the Communications and Outreach Manager
- Embodiment of Pillars values and commitment to amplifying the leadership and voices of Muslims in the United States
- Ability and willingness to develop a deep(er) understanding of Muslim communities in the United States and the issues that impact us across multiple identities
- Three-to-five years relevant experience.
- Strong critical thinking/analytical skills and an ability to be enterprising, resourceful and creative
- Exceptional writing and editing skills and ability to synthesize concepts for multiple audiences
- Experience creating and publishing a variety or original content for multiple platforms, from internal language to email campaigns to news and/or sharp commentary
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to demonstrate discretion, empathy and cultural competency to effectively work with diverse constituents
- Demonstrated commitment to racial justice and ability to articulate and amplify work through that lens
- Comfort and fluency with communications tools and social media and willingness to embrace evolving technologies; current tools include Salesforce, Campaign Monitor, Adobe Creative Suite, Canva, social media platforms
- Excellent time management and project management skills; ability to manage multiple priorities, work independently, and to set and meet deadlines
- Ability to participate as part of a team and contribute to a collaborative work environment
- Ability and willingness to travel occasionally, including some out-of-state travel and attendance at events on nights and weekends.
Compensation and Benefits
The Pillars Fund offers a competitive total compensation package including health, employer-subsidized dental and vision, basic life insurance, short- and long-term disability, parental leave, and generous time off. Pillars believes in investing in talent and providing opportunities for professional growth. We offer professional development such as trainings, conferences, and other opportunities to grow one’s leadership.
The salary range is $60,000-$70,000, depending on experience.
Pillars has a physical office in Chicago, where most of the staff are based. We also have staff members who work remotely. Preference will be given to candidates based in, or willing to relocate to, Chicago, but candidates based in other locations are invited to apply and will be fully considered.
To Be Considered
Pillars is committed to building an organization that seeks and embraces diversity, actively pursues equity, and fosters an environment of inclusion. The Pillars Fund actively seeks diversity across multiple dimensions and does not discriminate against any employee or job applicant based on race, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship, socioeconomic background, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, marital status, family responsibilities, or any other protected characteristic as established under law. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, termination, promotion, transfer, layoff, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Those wishing to be considered should submit a cover letter, résumé or CV, and 2-3 examples of published work to email@example.com. In your cover letter, please explain why you are interested in this role and how your experience and skills are relevant to the responsibilities and attributes outlined above. Pillars will keep all inquiries and submissions confidential. Candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted.