Now Hiring: Social Media Manager
/ November 19, 2020
Pillars invests in opportunities to elevate and amplify the leadership and talents of Muslims in U.S. civil society. Through our funding programs, campaigns, and initiatives, we support a vibrant and growing nonprofit sector, which has been under immense pressure to protect and defend against imminent threats to the lives and livelihoods of Muslims in the United States. Pillars has been committed to harnessing our collective resources to serve our own communities and contribute broadly to the world around us. Since its founding in 2010, Pillars has invested more than $5 million in opportunities for Muslims in the U.S. to tell their own stories, build community, and fight injustice through the media, arts, public discourse, and civil society.
At Pillars, we are weaving storytelling through every aspect of our work. Whether we are working directly with our grantee partners, creating original content, educating and activating our donor network, or bringing visionary artists and advocates together, we tell stories to work through our shared struggles and shared aspirations.
Job Description: Social Media Manager
The Social Media Manager will collaborate with the entire Pillars team to 1) enhance the awareness and impact of the community of Muslim leaders and organizational partners, 2) grow Pillars’ ability to contribute meaningfully to public conversations, and 3) advance narrative change. The Manager will work with the leadership team to develop and execute a cohesive social media strategy that amplifies the critical work of Pillars grantee partners.
The ideal candidate is a storyteller at heart and fluent in the best practices of Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, and YouTube. The Social Media Manager is a skilled writer, can plan and executive long-term social media strategy, and knows how, when, and why to shift to breaking news and rapid response approaches. They also are attuned to the latest in politics and culture and can work with and help manage external content creators to build awareness, connect communities, and inspire action.
- Design and implement a social media strategy based on overall organization goals and emerging opportunities.
- Create and manage social media content calendar, in collaboration with the Communications Manager.
- Craft, curate, publish and manage social media content, including writing and editing copy, simple graphic design, and facilitating external graphic design for both rapid response and longer-term work.
- Work closely with Pillars’ video editor to brainstorm and facilitate the creation of original content.
- Track and analyze data metrics for performance improvements and periodic progress reporting, including midyear and annual write-ups.
- Align all content and engagement efforts with the Pillars brand and style guide, with attention to narrative, perspective, and tone.
- Conduct regular news and social media scans to maintain Pillars’ awareness of partner work, trending topics, and necessary updates.
- Manage promotion and advertising strategy and manage associated budget.
- Participate in organization-wide strategy development and contribute to decision-making on brand application and revisions.
- Identify and facilitate technical assistance opportunities for Pillars grantee partners and fellows, as resources and capacity allow.
- Provide scheduled reports for the staff, board, and other stakeholders, as needed.
- Support leadership team in developing and producing events, including online events.
- Provide support to the leadership team, grantees, and board, as needed.
Attributes of the Social Media Manager
- Embodiment of Pillars values and commitment to amplifying the leadership and voices of Muslims in the United States
- Ability and willingness to develop a deep(er) understanding of Muslim communities in the United States and the issues that impact us across multiple identities
- Ability and willingness to effectively apply a social justice framework at every stage of planning and execution
- Two to three years digital media or other applicable experience
- Strong critical thinking/analytical skills and an ability to be enterprising, resourceful and creative
- Exceptional writing and editing skills and ability to synthesize concepts for multiple audiences
- Experience creating and publishing a variety of original content for multiple platforms, including complex, long-term projects and shorter-term rapid response, when needed
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to demonstrate discretion, empathy, cultural competency, and joy to effectively relate to and work with diverse partners and stakeholders
- Familiarity, comfort, and fluency with best practices on audience engagement, Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, and other platforms
- Excellent time management and project management skills; ability to manage multiple priorities, work independently, and to set and meet deadlines
- Ability to participate as part of a team and contribute to a collaborative work environment
- Ability and willingness to travel occasionally, including some out-of-state travel and attendance at events on nights and weekends.
Compensation and Benefits
The Pillars Fund offers a competitive total compensation package including health, employer-subsidized dental and vision, basic life insurance, short- and long-term disability, parental leave, and generous time off. Pillars believes in investing in talent and providing opportunities for professional growth. We offer professional development such as trainings, conferences, and other opportunities to grow one’s leadership.
The salary range is $60,000-$65,000, depending on experience.
Pillars has a physical office in Chicago, where all of the staff are based. Currently, our entire staff is working remotely until further notice.
To Be Considered
Pillars is committed to building an organization that seeks and embraces diversity, actively pursues equity, and fosters an environment of inclusion. The Pillars Fund actively seeks diversity across multiple dimensions and does not discriminate against any employee or job applicant based on race, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship, socioeconomic background, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, disability, pregnancy, marital status, family responsibilities, or any other protected characteristic as established under law. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, termination, promotion, transfer, layoff, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Those wishing to be considered should submit a cover letter, résumé or CV, and 2-3 examples of published work to email@example.com. In your cover letter, please explain why you are interested in this role and how your experience and skills are relevant to the responsibilities and attributes outlined above. Pillars will keep all inquiries and submissions confidential. Candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please apply by December 15, 2020.