Now Hiring: Program Associate
/ July 6, 2021
Pillars Fund is a national nonprofit organization that amplifies the leadership, narratives, and talents of Muslims in the United States to advance opportunity and justice for all. Since our founding in 2010, Pillars has distributed more than $6 million in grants to Muslim organizations and leaders who advance social good. We invest in community-focused initiatives, push back against harmful narratives, uplift Muslim stories, and give collectively to generate resources within Muslim communities for Muslim communities.
Pillars Fund seeks an exceptional Program Associate to provide critical management support for our expanding grantmaking and fundraising work. This person is responsible for executing the administrative aspects of our outgoing grants and fellowships as well as coordinating aspects of our incoming donations. This is an opportunity to gain unique insights into the nonprofit and philanthropic sector and to work alongside a supportive and high-energy team. The Program Associate works cross-functionally with the Program Managers and Managing Director and is part of a team that reports to the Vice President of Programs.
Outgoing Grant and Award Management
- Follow processes to collect and track information about each application and award and ensure that they are progressing in a timely manner
- Provide technical assistance to applicants, grantee partners, and fellows
- Support the process of awarding funding once grants or fellowships have been approved, including preparing, sending, and tracking agreements
- Draft and/or edit correspondence with applicants, grantee partners, and fellows
- Analyze and create periodic reports that summarize common themes across award portfolios to advance team learning, strategy refinement, and effective grantee/awardee support
Incoming Gift and Award Management
- Monitor and maintain gift and award databases
- Prepare and send appropriate documentation and acknowledgment letters
- Draft, edit, prepare, and track correspondence with institutional partners and individual donors, including grant applications applications and reports
- Track grant deadlines and requirements and communicate key information and follow-up with appropriate team members
- Create monthly reports and reconcile donations with finance department
- Prepare materials for distribution and coordinate correspondence with key stakeholders, including grantee partners, board of directors, trustees, institutional funders, and individual donors
- Support the maintenance of contact databases and provide scheduling support
- Serve as back-up to Program Managers and other staff, as needed, and attend relevant meetings/conferences to gather information and knowledge to advance the work of the programs teams
- Work strategically and responsively, switching between tasks and reprioritizing based on emerging information
- Make suggestions to improve those processes and systems
- Use knowledge of Pillars’ mission, vision, and values, and your judgment, to handle unexpected issues that arise
Attributes of the Program Associate
- Embodiment of Pillars values and commitment to amplifying the leadership and voices of Muslims in the United States
- Familiarity with Muslim communities in the United States and the issues that impact us across multiple identities
- Ability and willingness to effectively apply a social justice framework at every stage of planning and execution
- Exceptional attentiveness to detail and organization and ability to solve problems
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to effectively summarize and explain situations and the ability to write professionally and clearly
- Strong proficiency with data collection, review, analysis, and reporting
- Strong proficiency with the use of software platforms and high degree of comfort with multiple technology applications, including Google Suite and basic databases, and ability to swiftly learn other systems, including Submittable and Salesforce
- Excellent time management and project management skills, including an ability to take direction from multiple people while managing competing priorities, to work independently, and to set and meet deadlines
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to demonstrate discretion, empathy, cultural competency, and joy to effectively relate to and work with diverse partners and stakeholders
Pillars has a physical office in Chicago, where most of the team is based. Currently, our staff is working primarily remotely with scheduled in-person team meetings.
Compensation and Benefits
The Pillars Fund offers a competitive total compensation package including health, employer-subsidized dental and vision, basic life insurance, short- and long-term disability, parental leave, and generous time off. Pillars believes in investing in talent and providing opportunities for professional growth. We offer professional development such as trainings, conferences, and other opportunities to grow one’s leadership.
The salary range is $52,000–56,000, depending on experience.
To Be Considered
Pillars is committed to building an organization that actively pursues equity and fosters an environment of inclusion. Pillars Fund embraces diversity across multiple dimensions and does not discriminate against any employee or job applicant based on race, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship, socioeconomic background, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, disability, pregnancy, marital status, family responsibilities, or any other protected characteristic as established under law. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, termination, promotion, transfer, layoff, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Those wishing to be considered should submit a cover letter, résumé or CV, and writing sample or project management sample to email@example.com. If available, please submit up to three examples of additional relevant published work or project management for review. In your cover letter, please explain why you are interested in this role and how your experience and skills are relevant to the responsibilities and attributes outlined above. Pillars will keep all inquiries and submissions confidential. Candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please apply by July 15, 2021 for priority consideration.