We’re Hiring: Digital Media Associate
/ May 11, 2022
Pillars Fund is a national nonprofit organization that amplifies the leadership, narratives, and talents of Muslims in the United States to advance opportunity and justice for all. Since our founding in 2010, Pillars has distributed more than $7 million in grants to Muslim organizations and leaders who advance social good. We invest in community-focused initiatives, push back against harmful narratives, uplift Muslim stories, and organize Muslim donors to give together strategically.
About the Role
The Digital Media Associate is part of Pillars’ dynamic Communications, Digital, and Creative team and collaborates with the entire Pillars staff to use digital strategies to cultivate community. This includes coordinating the digital engagement calendars; identifying opportunities to uplift Pillars’ grantees, fellows, trustees, partners, and champions; and educating broad audiences about issues central to Muslim experiences. We’re looking for prospective colleagues who are motivated by Pillars’ values and the communities we serve and who would bring strong writing skills, a great eye for detail, a love for creating systems, and a spirit of joy to our team. The Digital Media Associate works closely with the Communications Manager and Creative Producer.
- Engage and grow Pillars’ digital community
- Create and manage content calendar and establish posting cadence, balancing, long-term planning, monthly targets, and rapid response needs.
- Curate visual content and write compelling copy for social media platforms including Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Facebook.
- Identify and engage stakeholders (e.g., grantees, fellows, trustees, partners, and champions) to expand the audience committed to amplifying Muslim voices and taking action toward opportunity and justice.
- Stay immersed in news and trends related to our work and our audiences in order to quickly take part in online conversations and identify longer-term opportunities for engagement.
- Track, analyze, and report on digital metrics to identify successes and opportunities for growth and adjustments.
- Keep our website up to date
- Manage regular blog updates.
- Coordinate website postings, including drafting written content and/or coordinating staff to draft and publish content.
- Coordinate website design updates, including working with relevant website vendors/contractors to execute projects or updates.
- Coordinate and activate Pillars’ staff and partners on campaigns and events
- Create and manage timelines for digital campaigns and special projects.
- Develop digital media guides and sample content for Pillars’ staff, grantees, fellows, trustees, partners, and champions to use or adapt.
- Equip Pillars’ team to participate in social media opportunities (e.g., live tweeting from events, crafting Instagram stories, etc.).
- Passion for Pillars’ values and amplifying the leadership and voices of Muslims in the United States
- Eagerness to develop a deep(er) understanding of Muslim communities in the United States and the issues that impact us across multiple identities
- Demonstrated commitment to racial justice and ability to articulate and amplify work through that lens
- Strong critical thinking and analytical skills and an ability to be enterprising, resourceful and creative
- Confidence and skill in managing multiple priorities, setting and meeting deadlines, and working independently when needed
- A knack for creating structure, solving problems, and embracing change and ambiguity in a changing world; proficiency in project management and social media management tools including Airtable and Hootsuite
- Exceptional writing, editing, and research skills and ability to synthesize concepts for multiple audiences
- Great eye for detail and visual cohesion; ability to complete basic graphic design tasks (e.g., using graphic design templates in Photoshop) within quick deadlines; and understanding of best practices for visual organization on social media platforms
- Excellent interpersonal skills and willingness to embrace a spirit of joy, curiosity, collaboration, compassion, discretion, and equity to effectively work with diverse stakeholders
- Ability and willingness to travel occasionally (about 25% if based in Chicago; more if remote), including some out-of-state travel and attendance at events on nights and weekends
Compensation and Benefits
The Pillars Fund offers a total compensation package including comprehensive health insurance (including dental and vision); flexible spending account; basic life insurance; short- and long-term disability insurance; generous time off and flexible schedule policies; paid parental leave; and 401(k) plan options with matching. Pillars offers professional development allowances and opportunities to grow individual skills and leadership.
The salary range for the Digital Media Associate is $60,000–65,000.
Pillars has a physical office in Chicago, where most of the team is based. Team members have the option to work primarily from the office, remotely, or both. Some meetings, events, and retreats will take place in person.
To Be Considered
Pillars is committed to actively pursuing equity and fostering an environment of inclusion. Pillars Fund embraces diversity across multiple dimensions and does not discriminate against any employee or job applicant based on race, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship, socioeconomic background, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, disability, pregnancy, marital status, family responsibilities, or any other protected characteristic as established under law. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, termination, promotion, transfer, layoff, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Pillars will make reasonable accommodations for people with disabilities, in our hiring process and for our team. Please let us know at any stage of the process if you need any accommodations to fully participate. Some examples include, but are not limited to:
- Providing written materials in different formats
- Modifying application/assessment exercises
- Adjusting the interview format (in most cases, interviews take place via Zoom)
- Providing qualified readers or interpreters
To apply, please read the full job description, then submit a cover letter, résumé, and one relevant work sample or project management sample using the form linked below.
Questions? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.